Six years later, it still hasn’t happened.
When a small child frequents your place of residence, chances are you’re going to pick up any disease they come home with, which has been the case this holiday season. Ingrid blessed us with her germs, and John and I have both been ill. Mine developed into pneumonia. Remarkably, I have continued to work, since I work from home, and have managed to wrap all the presents and get out of town presents mailed on time. Quite an accomplishment, considering everything I’ve been experiencing.
Feeling human again today. Still sniffing a little, and regrettably, I don’t think I’m going to feel like flying to Reno for our friends’ Kat and Len’s party on the 26th, but am doing pretty well and am ready for the festivities to begin!
My friend, Shannon Kringen is coming to town with her boyfriend tonight, and we’re going to listen to Rae Gordon’s Christmas show. Rae is my favorite blues singer, by far, and is always, always entertaining. After we hear Rae, we’re going to Wine-30 in Milwaukee to hear a Reno friend, Adlai Alexander, sing his incredible Brazillian jazz. Musical holidays are the best holidays!
John is going out to grab a tree this morning or tomorrow, and we’ll all decorate it later. I’m going to clean my already-clean house from top to bottom, start on my baking….oh….and work. I have to work today…..But I feel the excitement in the air. I’m happy. I’m hopeful. I’m as much in love as I ever was….. I’m ready for the new year to begin. Matters of the heart and mind are good. I am in a good place.
Merry Christmas, everyone!
Happy holidays to all my followers! In the new year, I will be taking more article requests, so please don’t hesitate to drop me a line if there is a particular topic you’d like for me to address.
As the holiday season is upon us, I’d like to remind everyone that many different cultures celebrate many different holidays. Please don’t think December is only for YOUR preferred belief system. There’s room for everyone!
Have a happy holiday, and a great beginning to the New Year! Prayers for peace. Action for peace. Think peaceful thoughts.
This is where I stand on the whole Trump issue.
I apologize to no one for this.
The fevered ego currently occupying our White House, his power-hungry cronies taking positions of authority in his Cabinet and administration, and the majority of Republicans & Democrats in Congress are a real and active threat to me, my way of life, and all the people I love. Unless you are worth billions of dollars, they are a threat to you and your life, too. Therefore, I will continue to be a part of the solution by drawing attention to what’s happening and encouraging us to all resist. If you can, join in. If you disagree, fine. But, I refuse to “play nice” in the face of what these people are doing. Our country’s well-being demands that we stand up and resist.
Some people are saying that we should “work together” with Trump because he won the election and he is “everyone’s president.” This is my response:
I will not forget how badly he and so many others treated President Obama for EIGHT YEARS…BUT, apart from that, this is why I cannot support this president’s agenda:
• I will not “work together” to privatize Medicare, cut Social Security and Medicaid. EVER!!! We have paid every single dime into Social Security. It is OURS, not Congress’s to spend to court rich donors from Wall Street.
• I will not “work together” to remove civil rights from ANYONE–like the evisceration of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 OR the continued partisan gerrymandering by the GOP.
• I will not “work together” to destroy marriage equality and make it a states right to deny love between two people. Your “religious liberty” does not give you some right to take away my rights. Your faith, no matter how deeply felt, doesn’t make our civil laws.
• I will not “work together” to deny health care to people who need it.
• I will not “work together” to increase the profits of the insurance companies. (Notice they rarely, if ever, go bankrupt).
• I will not “work together” to erase or redefine my trans brothers and sisters. I will not subject them to embarrassment in bathrooms.
• I will not “work together” to deny medical coverage to people on the basis of an alleged or actual “pre-existing condition.” (At some point, we will ALL have a pre-existing condition if we live long enough).
• I will not “work together” to build a wall. (Walls have never worked, and eventually they all fall.)
• I will not “work together” to persecute Muslims.
• I will not “work together” to shut out refugees from countries where we destabilized their governments, so that we could have something more agreeable to our oligarchy.
• I will not “work together” to lower taxes on the 1%.
• I will not “work together” to increase taxes on the middle class and poor.
• I will not “work together” to help the president to line his pockets and those of his cronies.
• I will not “work together” to weaken and demolish environmental protections.
• I will not “work together” to sell American lands, especially National Parks, to companies which then despoil those lands.
• I will not “work together” to enable the killing in any way of whole species of animals just because they are predators, or inconvenient for a few, or because some people want to get their thrills killing them.
• I will not “work together” to waste trillions more on our military when we already have the strongest in the world.
• I will not “work together” to alienate countries that have been our allies for as long as I have been alive, and longer.
• I will not “work together” to slash education funding.
• I will not “work together” to take basic assistance from people who are at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder.
• I will not “work together” to allow torture and “black op” prison sites.
• I will not “work together” and deny that there is a color imbalance in our criminal justice system. We need to address it.
• I will not “work together” with a mentality that twists peaceful protests into a lack of patriotism. Kneeling is NOT disrespectful to the flag.
• I will not “work together” with a leader who bullies others.
• I will not “work together” to “take their oil.”
• I will not “work together” to get rid of common sense regulations on guns.
• I will not “work together” to eliminate the minimum wage.
• I will not “work together” to support so-called “Right To Work” laws, or undermine, weaken or destroy unions in any way.
• I will not “work together” to suppress scientific research, be it on climate change, fracking, or any other issue where a majority of scientists agree that #45 and his supporters are wrong on the facts.
• I will not “work together” to increase the number of nations that have nuclear weapons.
• I will not “work together” to put even more “big money” into politics.
• I will not “work together” to violate the Geneva Convention.
• I will not “work together” to give the Ku Klux Klan, the Nazi Party and white supremacists a seat at the table, or to normalize their hatred.
• I will not “work together” if it means ignoring the fact that a foreign country interfered with our elections while this administration has done nothing about it.
• I will not “work together” or honor a man who is a sexual predator.
• I will not “work together” with politicians who want to criminalize abortion… or regulate it out of existence.
• I will not “work together” to engage in voter suppression.
• I will not “work together” to normalize tyranny.
• I will not “work together” to eliminate or reduce ethical oversight at any level of government.
• I will not “work together” with anyone who is, or admires, tyrants and dictators who murder their opposition.
• I will not “work together” with #45 because I will not allow one man to feed upon the fears of the populace, blaming minorities for their condition or their inability to thrive.
• I will not “work together” to put children in cages.
• I will not “work together” to invite or condone violence against journalists. Or ignore the murder of one!!!
• I will not “work together” to dismiss and demoralize the intelligence community upon whom our national security relies.
This is the line, and I am drawing it. I will stand for honesty, love, respect for all living beings, and for the compassion and humanity that is the center of Life itself.
• I will use my voice and my hands, to reach out to the uninformed, and to anyone who will LISTEN for what’s really so dangerous about #45, his friends and the Big Lie they spin to the world: to wit, that “winning,””being great again,””rich,””beautiful,” or even “white” is anything more than nothing when others are sacrificed to glorify its existence.
Feeling especially joyful and grateful this holiday season. Have been working very hard to make up for the near-month we spent in Reno, but am still trying to carve out the time to enjoy the season. I’ve been shopping and baking, wrapping and cleaning. I’ve been singing and volunteering and basically enjoying this time of year. I’ve been going to see musical and theatrical events, Christmas lights, Christmas tree lighting, Jewish Hanukkah ceremnies, a Kwanza musical…..I’m really getting into the spirit of the season.
I’m still taking my long walks every day, and as the weather gets colder, I step a little faster. It’s fun to see all the decorations
Planning to spend Christmas at home with the family this year. It should be great. However, I’ve really been bad about keeping up with my blog….but I’ll get better at that, too. I have a lot of exciting information to impart in 2019!