The human body has many ways for signaling when something is wrong, and for repairing itself. However, few are as painful as passing a kidney stone. Kidney stones are lumps of hard mass that develop when crystals detach from urine inside the urinary tract. Anyone who has experienced the searing pain of kidney stones knows what I’m talking about.
According to the National Institute for Health, Phyllanthus Niruri may help.
A Plant with Stone Breaking Strength
Phyllanthus Niruri is known by many as a miracle plant that grows in the world’s tropical and subtropical coastal areas. It grows to a height of approximately 2′ tall, and has rounded leaves, a smooth bark stem, and flowers that form small fruit. The plant is known for its wide medicinal uses, and has been given the nickname “stonebreaker,” for its ability to break up kidney stones.
A scientific study published at the Federal University of San Paolo, Brazil, supports the use of Phyllanthus Niruri for the treatment of kidney and bladder problems in men. The study hypothesized that the plant helped prevent the early formation of kidney stones by lowering the level of crystals found in the urine. It also helps the body rid itself of excess calcium that can sometimes lead to kidney stones.
Powerful Protection for the Body
Many of the properties in Phyllanthus Niruri that make it dissolve kidney stones, promote optimum health in other areas of the body as well. It also works as an effective pain killer, and anti-spasmodic, allowing it to sooth muscles groups to help them relax, and by dulling post-operative pain. The substance also helps protect the liver by safeguarding against the effects of HIV, and Hepatitis B and C.
Phyllanthus niruri has been proven in over 80 clinical and laboratory studies to have the following medical benefits:*
- Smooth muscle relaxant, in particular the stomach, ureter, bladder, and uterus, which is why it should not be used by pregnant women;
- Antilithic: dissolves calcium crystals responsible for the formation of kidney stones and prevents the formation of new stones;
- Hepatoprotective: helps heal and protect damaged livers;
- Antiviral: shows positive effect against HIV and hepatitis B and C;
- Analgesic, shown to be a highly effective pain killer for certain types of pain, in particular the types of pain experienced by kidney stone sufferers (like us) and post-operative pain;
- Hypocholesterolemic: it lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol and increases HDL (good) cholesterol;
- Hypoglycemic: naturally lowers blood sugar to within normal ranges;
- Hypotensive: naturally lowers blood pressure;
- Antispasmodic: reduces spasms of smooth muscle, in particular the type responsible for kidney stone pain;
- Antimutagenic: Inhibits the growth of certain types of cancer cells, in particular sarcoma, carcinoma, and lymphoma;
- Dissolves and eliminates gallstones, and prevents new gallstone formation;
- High in antioxidants and phytonutrients.
You can perform a Google search to buy Phyllanthus Niruri, or purchase it from your local herbalist. I found some on Amazon here.
by Stacy Alexander
This content is not intended as medical advice. One should consult with a qualified medical professional prior to undergoing any type of herbal or other treatment modality for kidney stones.