As I get closer to launching my business, I am getting another certification, this time in Neuro Linguistic Programming, or NLP. Actually, I’m also getting certified as a hypnotherapist, but this post is about NLP. This is a controversial topic in the world of Psychology, and one that is frowned upon by half and supported by the other half. Its purpose is to help dissolve the barriers that keep people from achieving their dreams.
In essence, all of NLP is founded on two fundamental presuppositions:
1. The Map is Not the Territory. As human beings, we can never know reality. We can only know our perceptions of reality. We experience and respond to the world around us primarily through our sensory representational systems. It is our ‘neuro-linguistic’ maps of reality that determine how we behave and that give those behaviors meaning, not reality itself. It is generally not reality that limits us or empowers us, but rather our map of reality.
2. Life and ‘Mind’ are Systemic Processes. The processes that take place within a human being and between human beings and their environment are systemic. Our bodies, our societies, and our universe form an ecology of complex systems and sub-systems all of which interact with and mutually influence each other. It is not possible to completely isolate any part of the system from the rest of the system. Such systems are based on certain ‘self-organizing’ principles and naturally seek optimal states of balance or homeostasis.
All of the models and techniques of NLP are based on the combination of these two principles. In the belief system of NLP it is not possible for human beings to know objective reality. Wisdom, ethics and ecology do not derive from having the one ‘right’ or ‘correct’ map of the world, because human beings would not be capable of making one. Rather, the goal is to create the richest map possible that respects the systemic nature and ecology of ourselves and the world we live in. The people who are most effective are the ones who have a map of the world that allows them to perceive the greatest number of available choices and perspectives. NLP is a way of enriching the choices that you have and perceive as available in the world around you. Excellence comes from having many choices. Wisdom comes from having multiple perspectives.
NLP was originated by John Grinder (whose background was in linguistics) and Richard Bandler (whose background was in mathematics and gestalt therapy) for the purpose of making explicit models of human excellence.
- Calm anxieties and be confident
- Create the life you want — unfettered by depression, shyness, anger, rage, jealousy, phobias, allergies, traumatic memories
- Clarify your goals, create a compelling future
- Dissolve barriers that have kept you from achieving your dreams
- Enrich communication in all your relationships — with family, friends, significant others
- Heal the shame, grief, or guilt that binds you
- Improve relationships, self-esteem, health, athletic performance, relaxation, sleep
- Increase motivation and energy
- Learn healthy eating habits
- Overcome learning difficulties, math anxiety, test anxiety, ADD/ADHD, improve spelling and math
- Recover from codependency, addictions, compulsions — smoking, food, gambling, sex, alcohol, and others
- Release stress, tension, anxiety, headaches, migraines
- Stop smoking, lose weight
- Vaporize negative self-talk
I am going through the program at a very fast clip, due to my background of knowledge in Psychology that I have already achieved. I am finding the process of going through this program very enlightening, helpful and interesting. I will utilize this technique in my workshops.