Some foods need to be refrigerated. Others don’t. This is a list of foods that do not need to be chilled.
1. Bananas – Storing bananas in the refrigerator can actually disrupt their ripening process. Once refrigerated, a banana may never be able to resume the ripening process even if returned to room temperature.
2. Yams and Sweet Potatoes – When exposed to cold temperatures, starches found in potatoes will turn to sugar, disrupting their flavor and texture. If you prefer tasteless potatoes that cause weight gain, however, please refrigerate.
3. Tomatoes – Have you ever tasted a really amazing tomato right out of the fridge? Nope, Me neither. Tomatoes LOSE their flavor and become mushy when refrigerated.
4. Apples -Apples lose their texture and flavor when refrigerated. If you want a cold apple, just stick it in the fridge about 20 minutes before you plan to eat it. Otherwise, store them at room temperature.
5. Onions – If you love soggy onions while also causing the rest of your food to taste and smell like onions, then you’ll definitely want to refrigerate your onions immediately. Otherwise, try storing them in a paper bag (within a cool, dark cabinet) for maximum shelf-life. And by the way, did you know that storing onions with potatoes will cause the potatoes to ripen too quickly and to spoil sooner? The onions give off a gas that causes this, so be sure to separate them for storage, m’k?
6. Avocados – Much like the banana, refrigeration shuts down an avocado’s ripening enzymes. If you want guacamole next month, this may be OK, but if you’re like me, you probably want guacamole today.
7. Coffee – Contrary to popular belief, coffee is best stored at room temperature to allow the natural oils within the coffee beans to activate its pungent aromatic scent. Refrigeration can actually cause coffee to absorb odors from other foods in your fridge.
Speaking of coffee…I haven’t had mine yet this morning, so off I go. Have a happy day everyone!