This is one of the best vegan cauliflower soup recipes I have ever tried. It is very light and low-cal. If you want to add a potato or two, it will make the soup thicker and creamier, but it is fine without them.
Vegan Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Recipe type: dinner, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian
Cuisine: savory, soup
- 2 Tbl Earth Balance or other vegan oil spread
- 2 cloves fresh, organic garlic, minced
- 1 medium organic onion, diced (I use Walla-Wallas or Videlia’s)
- 2 stalks of organic celery, diced
- 1 head of organic cauliflower, chopped
- 4 cups of vegan chick’n broth, vegetable broth or mushroom broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbl fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 slices veggie bacon
- ½ cup unsweetened, original almond milk
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat butter over medium heat. Add your garlic and onions and sauté until they’re translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in your celery and cauliflower and coat with the butter mix, stirring for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in your broth, bay leaf, rosemary, and thyme, bring to a boil. Reduce heat down and let simmer over medium low heat until your cauliflower is very tender for about 15-20 minutes. In the meantime prepare your tempeh bacon.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add in your tempeh bacon and cook until crispy for about 3-5 minutes.
- Once all your ingredients are tender, remove your bay leaf and discard, and either wait until your soup cools and transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until your soup is at your desired consistency, or use an immersion blender (aka handheld blender), blend until your soup is to your desired consistency. Chunky is good, if you ask me.
- Add in your almond and coconut milk and whisk until thickened, about 1 minute. Taste for salt and pepper. Top with your veggie bacon, and enjoy!